Friday, September 07, 2007

I look like a hamster...

I got my wisdom teeth pulled out yesterday.




Thing is, I'm really afraid of dentists in general. So getting my teeth pulled out... Let's just say I was told four years ago that these wisdom teeth have to go, but it took all this time to make the appointment. It was yesterday afternoon, around 5 pm, and the whole day was horrible. I had hardly slept the night before, had a headache, a stomach ache and had a bit of fever. At work I couldn't concentrate. When I got home before going to the dentist's, I was crying and almost hyperventilating.

All in all, it went well. The dentist was really nice, she gave me a local anesthesia. The procedure itself was pretty quick, but one of the most disgusting this I have ever been through in my whole life. The cracking sounds and taste of blood were horrible. On one side, my tooth was deeper into the bone, and it really hurt when she took it out ( she had a hard time with it). I cried a bit because of the pain on the left one. After it was done, I felt in shock, listened to the dentists recommendations, got up to make a check up appointment at the front desk, and I kept thinking about the cracking sounds my teeth had made, and started feeling nauseous, everything went grey and the dentist had me lay down and put my feet up. I felt like I was going to either puke or faint. Good thing my boyfriend came with me. He took me home, changed me into my pjs and took good care of me. This is what I look like, a real home patient:



I actually thought I was smiling on the picture, but because my mouth was so frozen I couldn't feel it.

Last night the fever was really bad, and my left side ( the difficult tooth) hurt much more than the right one. On my left side, the whole area around the wound hurts, as well as the back of my mouth,my jaw and my throat. The right side is not a problem. I think if both sides had gone well, I would barely have any pain.

I got some painkillers so I slept well last night and this morning the fever is gone. My left side is way more swollen than my right side now, so I look like a really weird hamster.

My boyfriend is taking very good care of me, he bought some baby food (strawberry is the best) and vegetable broth and vegetables he can mash for me to eat. Honestly, I'm not hungry at all. Yesterday I had to force my self to eat something during the day, but I was so nervous. Last night I felt quite traumatised and barely ate anything, and I don't know if I'll eat much today...

All in all, I'm very happy that it's over, but I never want to have a tooth pulled, ever again!!

2 comments:

Rat In A Cage said...

Oh, man. It's so sad, I am actually laughing. It's one of those nervous laughter though, like I am prone to do at funerals. Talk about horrifying. Looking like you're laghing at a wake or funeral is hard to explain. Anyway, if you couldn't get anything you want with the look in that first photo, you never ever will. How could anyone say no to anything looking at that expression? Feel better soon!!!

Françoise said...

thanks. I must say my boyfriend is actually COOKING for me, which is highly unusual, so I guess there must be some good sides about looking like a rodent
:)