Monday, October 10, 2005

Nightmare

I've been having this recurring nightmare for about 1 year/1 year and a half. It's not always the same, the setting changes, the circumstances change, the people change... but one thing stays. It's always some sort of tsunami. And it started way before the tsunami in Thailand. I'm always on a beach, or on the side of a lake, and there's always some kind of wall next to me: a hill, a hotel wall. a huge tree... Anyways, I'm always having fun, and then I realize something's wrong with the water.Terribly wrong. I try to run away, but everything goes so slowly. Except the wave. It's like, 50 meters high. I see the wall/ hill, and I know I'm going to violently crash into it as soon as the wave hits me. I feel absolutely horrified, and try to run away but somehow I just can't. The feeling I have when I wake up is just absolute dread. What's strange is that in my life, I was never, ever afraid of water, quite the contrary...my parents couldn't manage to get me away from the ocean when I was a kid, and my boyfriend too, now that I'm an adult... I've tried to find any movies I would have seen, books I would have read... to no avail.

I wish these water nightmares would stop, as I have them quite frequently ( at least once a month) and they always leave me drained... and terrified of the water.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

I’m no psychologist, but it may be that the dream has nothing to do with the water, but instead with some impeding dread. You say you feel dread when you wake? That may be the cause. I dream every night and find that the strongest most vivid images and feelings somehow reflect my real life anxieties through some twisted logic.

Françoise said...

thanks for the feedback! it might be that, because I'm in a foreign land and I don't know hoe everything works here... I'm afraid of what I don't know:)